Ubuntu Server 10.10 on Virtual PC under Win7A while ago, I described how to get Ubuntu Server 9.10 to run Windows Virtual PC.
As it turned out though, the beasts were only tamed for a release or two. For Ubuntu Server 10.10 this guide needed an update, so here it is!
These are the steps required to get Ubuntu Server 10.10 to run on Windows Virtual PC under Windows 7.
For this to work you will need:
- Windows 7 with Virtual PC installed
- The Ubuntu Server 10.10 32-bit ISO (Virtual PC still does not support 64-bit guests)
Ready? Let's go !
1. In the Virtual Machines folder, create a new VM. Before launching it, edit the settings to mount the Ubuntu ISO
2. Launch the VM and select your language.
3. Press F4 and select Install a minimum virtual machine
4. Perform the installation all the way through.
5. After the reboot, in Grub, select the first entry and press "e" to edit it.
6. Add "noreplace-paravirt vga=771" (no quotes) before "quiet" on the second last line and press Ctrl+x to boot
7. Log in and edit the file called "/etc/default/grub" as root. Change the line with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noreplace-paravirt vga=771 quiet"8. Execute this command:
sudo update-grub9. Reboot
10. Welcome to Ubuntu Server 10.10 under Virtual PC on Windows 7!
About Axel Fontaine
Axel Fontaine is the founder and CEO of Boxfuse the easiest way to deploy JVM and Node.js applications to AWS.
Axel is also the creator and project lead of Flyway, the open-source tool that makes database migration easy.
He is a Continuous Delivery and Immutable Infrastructure expert, a Java Champion, a JavaOne Rockstar and a regular speaker at many large international conferences including JavaOne, Devoxx, Jfokus, JavaZone, QCon, JAX, ...
You can follow him on Twitter at @axelfontaine
Two day intensive on-site training with Axel Fontaine
Iasi, Romania (May 10-11, 2017)
Oslo, Norway (Oct 16-17, 2017)
Axel Fontaine Labs GmbH
+49 151 5560 2935
USt-ID Nr.: DEXXXXXXXXX, St.Nr.: 143/117/21411
Amtsgericht: München, HRB 200564, Geschäftsführer: Axel Fontaine
Redaktionell Verantwortlicher: Axel Fontaine
Thanks! I'll be in touch shorty.
Message forwarded to /dev/null
Thanks! Your message looked like spam.
My good friend /dev/null will be in touch shorty.